Broderick Johnson is the EVP, Public Policy & EVP, Digital Equity for Comcast Corporation. Broderick oversees the company’s Public Policy team and holds overall responsibility for Comcast’s role in the digital equity space. Comcast is a leader in solutions to bridge the digital divide, and Broderick works closely with our partners in government and other stakeholders to support our shared goal of connecting as many Americans as possible to the Internet, and to shape our corporate policies that allow our businesses to continue to grow and innovate.
Broderick has more than three decades of experience as a lawyer, policy advisor, and political strategist, most recently with the international law firm of Covington & Burling. He has served under two U.S. Presidents, as Deputy Assistant to the President for Legislative Affairs under President Clinton, and as Assistant to the President and Secretary of the Cabinet under President Obama. Broderick also served as chief counsel for several committees in the U.S. House.
Broderick is a highly respected and trusted leader in Washington D.C. and across the nation, and he has advised hundreds of clients on a wide array of policy issues, including telecommunications and tech matters. He earned a Juris Doctorate degree from the University of Michigan and a Bachelor of Arts degree from the College of the Holy Cross. He sits on numerous boards, including the boards of directors of the Obama Foundation and the Black Economic Alliance. He also chairs the My Brother’s Keeper Alliance Advisory Council.
- The White House, Assistant to the President and Cabinet Secretary; Chair of the President’s My Brother’s Keeper Task Force (MBK); Deputy Assistant to the President for Legislative Affairs
- Obama-Biden Reelection Campaign, Senior Advisor
- Kerry-Edwards Presidential Campaign, Senior Advisor
- AT&T and Bell South Corporations, Vice President for Government Relations
- U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Education and the Workforce, Chief Democratic Counsel
- U.S. House of Representatives Committee on the District of Columbia, Staff Director and Chief Democratic Counsel
- U.S. House of Representatives Office of the Legislative Counsel, Assistant Counsel
Memberships and Affiliations
- My Brother’s Keeper Advisory Council—Obama Foundation, Chairman (2018-present)
- My Brother’s Keeper Alliance Board of Directors (formerly independent 501©), Chairman (2017-2018)
- Wolf Trap Foundation, Member
- Dean’s Advisory Group, University of Michigan Law School (2017-present)
- Boule, Epsilon Chapter, Member (2009-present)
- Concerned Black Men, Inc., Past President
- The Center for American Progress Action Fund, Past Board Member
- Alumni Association of the University of Michigan, Past Board Member
News and Insights
- “Obama’s MBK Chief Joins Law Firm,” January 15, 2019, Beat DC
- “Leading Public Policy Lawyer Joins Covington,” January 7, 2019
- Jane L Mixer Award, The University of Michigan Law School
- CLEO EDGE Honoree, Greater Equality, Council on Legal Education Opportunity, Inc.
- Civil Rights Justice by Action Youth Award, National Organization of Blacks in Law Enforcement
- Special Award, The King Center
- Harry A. and Margaret D. Towsley Foundation Policymaker in Residence, University of Michigan
Regulatory and Public Policy
- Public Policy
- Election and Political Law Litigation and Investigations
- Congressional Investigations
- University of Michigan Law School, D.
- College of the Holy Cross, A.
- White House
- S. House of Representatives
- District of Columbia